Sokolowski Weekly Update (for 9/30/24)

I’m excited to announce that I’ll be returning to school tomorrow after my parental leave! It has been an amazing few months with my family, and I’m beyond grateful for the time I’ve had seeing Grant grow, but it’s time to get back to work. Thank you all for your support and patience while I’ve been away.

As a small thank you for everyone who picked up a little of the slack during my absence, I’ll be bringing donuts tomorrow morning! Please stop by the office for a sweet treat to kick off the week.

I’m looking forward to reconnecting with everyone and jumping right back in as we continue the great work happening at the Sokolowski School.

Instructional Rounds

A team of CPS coordinators, administrators, and central office staff will visit the Sokolowski School on Thursday, Oct. 3, to participate in Instructional Rounds. These rounds help leadership teams at each CPS school systematically observe what is happening in classrooms in a purposeful and focused way.

Classrooms may receive a 15-minute visit from a group of 3-4 CPS colleagues in the morning. They will be looking for the following:

• Objectives posted and communicated to students
  • Quality of expressive language used by students (speaking or writing)
  • Examples of co-teaching and instructional strategies that leverage all adults in the room
  • Opportunities for Depth of Knowledge (DOK) levels 3 and above

Picture Day Reminder

Picture day is on Tuesday, October 1st. The office will share the picture schedule on Monday to help teachers plan their day. As a reminder, there will be many moving pieces, and the office will communicate throughout the day in case of any changes.

When coming to the cafeteria, please ensure students are seated at the assigned table and not moving around. You can ask students to bring a just-right book to read independently while they wait for their turn. More details will be shared tomorrow. Thank you in advance for your flexibility!

Paraprofessional Lead Position

We are looking for a Paraprofessional Lead! This role involves supporting and guiding new paraprofessionals as they adjust to their positions in the school. The lead will train new paraprofessionals, introduce them to staff, provide guidance on important dates, and assist with technical and procedural questions.

If you’re a paraprofessional who is familiar with how our district and school operate and are excited to help others succeed, please apply here.

PLTs This Week

We will have regular PLTs this week, focusing on the HOMies. PLTs will take place on their usual days, and regular coverage applies.

Important Dates:

• 10/1: Picture Day
  • 10/3: Instructional Rounds
  • 10/4: Friday Book Market (7:50 AM)
  • 10/4: School Meeting (1:50 PM)
  • 10/7: RCADS Mental Health Screener Begins
  • 10/8: Staff Meeting
  • 10/14: RCADS Makeup Sessions Begin
  • 10/31: 3rd and 4th Grade Start Chorus Practice During PLT
  • 11/12: Parent-Teacher Conferences (5:00-7:00 PM)